Introduction

Well hello there,


The idea of this blog came while I was browsing IMDB top 250 of all time and it made me realise that for a film student... I haven't watched some films I should have definitely watched. Like I'm talking big ones, guys. Therefore, I decided to start this little project. To use it as an opportunity to actually catch up and talk about the films which as a Film graduate I should have watched and to review more recent films that I haven't had the time to see because...I was watching other films?? 

It is a weird journey to study (mostly) theoretical film degree. You usually study more than 3 modules a term and each module would have a film of the week that you take apart and read about, talk about, maybe write about, etc. You end up with intertwining topics, some quite interesting knowledge, and oh yeah...your whole life as a film spectator is basically ruined. You know that blissful experience of watching a film for the sake of watching a film for FUN? That could be very much impossible now as your brain automatically detects hidden connotations, political undertones, artistic techniques and sometimes even disagrees with the camera angle used in the scene.

I was told the saddest thing when I talked to my dissertation supervisor once. On asking him why do film students don't need to submit a second draft he said: "That's because they're used to writing essays, the other courses in the department really aren't." And indeed, essays and chapters and then exams (consisting of essays) were my life until a few days ago. Now, in the few free months I have, I decided to put this, let's call it curse, into use. So if you do give me a cheeky follow, I will hopefully be updating this twice a week, trying to flaunt my film knowledge about films that I should've probably watched a long time ago or some newer ones. I have the ambition for these small review/analysis thingies to evolve into vlogs but let's not get ahead of us.

Comments